Pages

Monday, January 09, 2006

When it rains...

What a whirlwind week this past week has been. On Jan 3 I started taking a two week Greek review course. I didn't score high enough on the final exam last semester to move on to the next level class so I have to take this course and retake the final. Hopefully I'll score high enough to move on so I won't have to retake the entire course. Well, in the middle of me taking this course Dee Dee started feeling bad and went to the doctor only to find out that she has a bladder infection. We got her medicine and she started feeling better toward the end of the week. But then on Sunday afternoon she told me that her back had been hurting all week long and it was getting worse. My first thought was problems with her kidneys. This morning, the morning of the Midterm exam for the Greek review course by the way, she was really feeling bad so I took my exam and then came home. She already had an appointment to see the doctor this afternoon but we called and got the appointment moved up a little. Just as I suspected, the doctor said that she has a kidney infection, so she prescribed a strong anti-biotic to knock it out. We came home and Dee Dee crawled back in the bed and I went to get her medicine. She took the first dose at around 5 PM. Between 5:30 and 5:45 she called me to the bedroom and said her eyes were itching and her mouth hurt. When I looked at her eyes they were puffy and red and the side of her tongue even looked a little swollen. So, we called a friend from church to come sit with the kids and I took off to the emergency room with Dee Dee. By the time we got there one eye was swollen completely shut, the other was about half shut, her face was swollen up like she had just gone 10 rounds with the heavyweight champ, and she said her throat was starting to get tight.

The ER at Baptist East here in Louisville is fabulous. They rushed us back into triage and within a very short time Dee Dee was lying on a gurney and getting a shot of Benadryl among other assorted drugs. Within 15 mintues after that first dose she was already looking better. Her face had lost the red color and the swelling had gone down enough that she could actually open both eyes. We were back home by 9 PM and she sacked out (which is to be expected after 2 doses of Benadryl). Tomorrow I'll go get the new prescription and hopefully this one will agree with her system a little more than the first one did.

We have no idea how much the emergency room visit is going to end up costing us. Hopefully it won't be too terribly much since I have tuition payments coming due again real soon. I didn't really want to do this, and I debated it for a long time, but I have actually added a Paypal donation button to the blog just below the Christianbook.com search box. If anyone is so inclined as to donate to the "Help send Rob to seminary" fund we would appreciate it. We also get a percentage (a fairly substantial 10%) of all sales on Christianbook.com that are made through the search box, or the book links that I have placed on the blog. If you're looking for a particular book you just type in the title, or the author, or whatever other information you have and click Go. If you then make a purchase from Christianbook.com we'll get the percentage back.

If this is not something you feel comfortable with doing, what we could use even more than donations or sales percentages, is prayer. We covet the prayers of our friends and spiritual family more than ever in these times of stress that going through seminary bring. As one of the professors here at Southern put it, "I'd rather get a C in Greek and an A in family than the other way around." These times are stressful on our family with me having to spend so much time studying. Please pray for us, that I would divide my time wisely.

Well, that's it for this installment. It's approaching midnight and I have a quiz tomorrow morning. That is, if Dee Dee is feeling well enough for me to leave her alone with the kids.

No comments: