Pages

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thank you Texas!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy that Texas beat usc last night that I just don't have the words to describe it. I have gotten incredibly tired, over the last 2 years, of hearing about how the current trojans are basically God's gift to college football. They were the media darlings and every sportscaster from here to Timbuktu was talking about how they would make history this year by winning their 3rd consecutive national championship. Excuse me? I know many will think I'm biased since I graduated from LSU but this would not have been number 3. No sir, methinks it would have been number 2. There was a great article on Yahoo! Sports a couple of weeks ago that talked about this very thing. USC won the national championship last year, but the year before that it was LSU.

I absolutely hate the BCS and think we should go to a playoff system (along with basically every other person in the country except for the presidents of the universities in the 6 major conferences who don't want to give up any money). However, all the schools in those conferences, of which USC is a member, agreed that the BCS would crown the national champion. They did not agree that the BCS would crown the national champion... "unless we don't like the outcome and then we'll decide to use some other poll that we like better." That's not the way things work. You have to play by the rules on the field, and you have to live with the results when you come off the field. Otherwise, I think I might just form a foundation to name a national champion every year. We'll even go back and look at records from prior years to name champions for those years as well. If so then in 2006 LSU will be going for its 114th consecutive national title since they started play in 1893. Don't you just love revisionist history.

Oh yeah, Hook em 'Horns!

No comments: