Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2005

"I wanna go with a girl"

It's funny how silly little comments like that can stick in your head for years. We had Shawn and Marja Liner and their daughter Maggie over for dinner last night. Shawn was the best man at our wedding and though we haven't stayed in touch over the years as much as either of us would have liked I still consider him to be one of the closest friends I have. Even after a year or more of not seeing each other when we get together it's like being with family. And I know that anytime we get together, at some point the phrase "I wanna go with a girl" is going to come up.

OK, a little background on the title of this post. It goes back about 12 or 13 years. I was in college at LSU and Shawn, Jim and Arthur Harvey and I had been sitting around their apartment. None of us had dates for the evening so we decided to go see the movie "Groundhog Day". As we were leaving the apartment, the whole idea of not having a date struck me and I blurted out "But I wanna go with a girl!" That phrase will follow me till the day I die as long as I am friends with those guys. But hey, can you really blame me? I mean, I was a 20-21 year old guy, going out to a movie on a Friday night with 3 other guys. OF COURSE I wanted to go with a girl instead.

Anyway, it's just those type of little unguarded moments that allow us to see into someone's heart and form a connection with them that can last for a lifetime. And it's just those little unguarded moments that Christ uses to change a life, and form a relationship that will last for eternity. So form connections with people, seek out friendships in which you can open yourself up and allow Christ to shine through you to touch another life and possibly change them for eternity.

No comments: