Pages

Monday, June 13, 2005

degrees and more degrees

I did it! I just turned in my final assignment for the last class in my Master's program. On July 9th I will receive a Master of Science in Management with a major in Information Technology Management from Colorado Technical University Online. Now that this degree is completed I will take a two month break before started work on a second Master's degree, this one in Divinity from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Looking back over the past dozen years of my life, this is so far from where I thought I would be. In December 1993 I dropped out of college and joined the Army because I was tired of school. The Army promptly sent me to a language school that lasted over a year to learn Arabic. After completing my training I spent 2 1/2 years in Germany and then was transferred to Atlanta, GA. While there I tried for a while to complete my undergraduate degree but it just didn't work out with my work schedule after leaving the Army.

Just a little over three years ago Dee Dee and I decided to move back to Baton Rouge so I could finish up at LSU. We came back here thinking that it would take me a minimum of 2 to 2 1/2 years to finish up. I ended up switching my major to General Studies and finishing in 1 year and then begining this Master's program that lasted 15 months. So in the time we thought it would take me to finish my undergrad degree I finished it and a Master's. Now I'm getting ready to start on another degree. As my friend Shawn said the other night, "This from the guy that nobody thought would ever finish his first degree."

I know, I know, I've rambled in this post, but read the title of this blog OK. I'm just amazed at the places God has taken me and the things He has helped me to accomplish once I stopped running from Him and gave in to His will for my life.

No comments: