Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

ports, pork barrels and whiny politicians

Wow. It's amazing how quickly time can pass by between posts. It feels like just a couple days ago that I made my last post on this blog but I see that is has been almost two weeks. With school assignments and meetings and projects at work time can very quickly get away from me. Anyway, on the the reason for this post.

I have not said anything about the whole port scandal though I have been following it via talk radio and the internet. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about a Middle Eastern country controlling some of the terminals in our ports. The security is still the responsibility of the Coast Guard and the Dept. of Homeland Defense but it just doesn't seem quite right to me to allow a potentially hostile country to control some of the means of shipping in this country. But that's not really what this post is about anyway. My problem with the whole situation was the way legislation was presented to oppose it. Attaching an amendment to a bill that the President could not possibly veto just seems like a dirty underhanded trick to me. I know, I know, it's the way things are always done in Washington. You attach an amendment to a bill in order to get your pet project through. And that's my problem. Our politicians act like a bunch of kids. If they can't get enough other people to agree to vote for their pet projects they whine and cry like a bunch of babies and find a way to slip it through. You can almost here them sitting around saying "Well if you don't vote for this, I won't vote for that." In fact, sometimes you actually can hear them saying it. I hear echos of children playing "If you don't play like I want to play I'm going to take my toys and go home. Nyah." I just wish they'd all grow up and let their bills live or die on the strength of their own merits, and stop attaching riders for silly insignificant junk to bills that really matter.

*Stepping down off soap box now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, our leaders are so much like children. Where are the statesmen that we deserve to have leading us.