Pages

Friday, July 06, 2007

AF Chaplain Candidate Tour

I started my first AF Chaplain Candidate tour today. I drove up to Wright-Patterson AFB yesterday and got my car registered, got checked into billeting, and ran to the Base Exchange (the on base equivalent of WalMart or Target for those of you not in the military) to pick up a few things I needed. The chapel staff here is all very friendly (as you would expect a chapel staff to be). I actually ran into a couple of people I know. One of the other candidates went through training with me last summer. The other person is a reserve chaplain who was actually the grader for one of my classes at Southern while he was working on his PhD there.

The day went pretty well. I got to Chapel 1 about 0715 and chatted with the NCOIC until my sponsor arrived a little later. After going out to breakfast with my sponsor all four candidates who are here right now went with one of the chaplains to a Commander's Call (an awards ceremony and a time of information briefing) for one of the squadrons. We then all went to the club for lunch and spent the afternoon moving some equipment out of a few rooms that the chapel doesn't use anymore so they can be turned over and then doing some maintenance in one of the chapels. I was done for the day and back in my room by 1600 (4 PM). I'm looking forward to finding out what the remainder of the summer holds.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

HI!

I've read a couple of your entries and wonder if you can share some info with me. I have been accepted as a Ch candidate and will go to COT in March. I'm AD right now and will be seperating 07 Feb from the Band career field and commissioning into the IRR. I have so many questions regarding the candidate tours etc. First, do you know if the two tours have to be exactly one year apart? I have other questions, perhaps you can e-mail me and we could converse more that way. Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan said...

Here's my e-mail:

williryan@gmail.com