Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Saints go marching home... but at what cost?

Last night I watched as the Saints returned to the newly refurbished Superdome for the first time in over a year. I loved seing the team draw on the emotion of the night to beat the rival Falcons. Alot of people have criticized the city of New Orleans for rebuilding the Dome while people are still without adequate housing in the city. Being from south Louisiana I understood the necessity of rebuilding the Dome and drawing people back to the city in order to stimulate the economy. However, last night, one of the comments made by the announcers really struck me. He said that the new coach, Sean Payton, had someone come up to him this summer and tell him that even though he did not have a place to live or a job he had purchased 6 season tickets because that's how much he believes in the Saints. The announcer told this story to emphasize how important the Saints are to the city and how much havign them back home will help to energize the citizens. But I couldn't help but to draw the exact opposite conclusion from his statements. Here is a person who does not have a job or a place to live who is spending what money he has on tickets to a game. How lopsided has our culture become? How addicted to athletic competition? I don't even know what else to say but that I am disgusted.

No comments: