Pages

Saturday, October 01, 2005

From the "You've got to be kidding me" department

CNN.com - 'Planet Xena' has a sidekick: Gabrielle - Oct 1, 2005

I was reading some reports on CNN.com tonight and ran across this one. Has our culture degenerated to such a point that we are now naming scientific discoveries after cheesy characters from even cheesier TV shows? I will admit I have watched an episode of "Xena: Warrior Princess" here and there. But in my opinion there is a huge difference in watching something cheesy on TV and memorializing it by naming a planet after it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously have not read enough: Xena and Gabrielle are just temporary nicknames, being less awkward to pronounce than "2003 UB313" and "2003 UB313/S1" (the current official temporary designations). See http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/planetlila/index.html for more details.

rob said...

Well that's a relief. But I still think they could have found some better temporary names than Xana and Gabrielle.